Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pomegranate-Green Tea/Chai Shortbread Cookie




These cookies were meant to have matcha green tea but at $25 for a box I had to make do with a bagged tea. Yep, I literally cut open a pomegranate-green tea bag and sprinkled it into the dough. I was skeptical but thought it actually came out with a sweet, earthy flavor I really liked. For the chai variety, I cut down some of the sugar and replaced it with the chai latte mix. I was not as impressed with those (though they were James' favorite) but I think more sugar could have helped. These cookies are not super sweet which was kind of refreshing. Each batch had:
1 Cup flour
1 Stick butter (yikes!)
1 bag of tea (your choice) or 2 tbsp chai latte mix
1 pinch of salt
1/4 Cup powdered sugar
A couple drops of vanilla extract
Mix dry ingredients. Beat softened butter. Slowly mix dry mixture into butter until blended. Roll into log (1.5 inch diameter) and stick in the fridge for an hour. Roll out dough (about 1/6 inch thick) and cut into any shape you like! Bake at 325 for about 13 min or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment