Monday, September 6, 2010

Mini Blackberry Tarts


I always mourn the end of summer. I blame most of it on connotations of going back to school. Even though I'm no longer in school, I still get a tinge of that dread-knowing my days of freedom were few and it'd be another nine long months before it came around again. The end of summer in Seattle has finally given me something to look forward to: blackberries. I love blackberries and for me, there is no better place to be at the end of August than Vashon. Blackberry bushes plague the island. Literally, they're rampant, considered a pesky weed. A pesky weed that I would gladly give a home.

Beware! Blackberries stain. Everything.
It's worth it. I wanted to put them in something where they were the main event. They're too good to smother with sugar and cream. I thought of a cobbler but I wanted something new, more portable. Behold, the mini blackberry tart.

The tart is simple:
1 cup whole wheat flour,
1 cup all-purpose flour,
1/2 cup of corn meal mixed with a
8 tbsp butter
Mix until a coarse texture forms

Add:
1/4 cup of fat free half and half (is that an oxy-moron?)
two egg yolks.

Form into what ever shape vessel you want for the blackberry filling. Freeze for at least 30 min.
Simmer 1.5 cups of blackberries with half a cup of brown sugar. I added some lime zest and shredded coconut in attempt to prove that summer is NOT over. Let cool.
Pour into tart shells.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
Do me a favor? Please? Eat them when they're warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment