Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lemon Rissoto with Shrimp

Although risotto is typically made with a super starchy rice, I didn't have any on hand. Hence, the introduction of basmati brown rice pilaf. I've been a little (ok, a lot) apprehensive towards making risotto. It gets a bad reputation for being so hands on, the constant need to be stirred and tended to and the ease of making fatal mistakes. Or so I hear. I started by sauteing a shallot and lemon zest in a tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons butter. Next, added 2 cups rice and half a cup of chicken broth.

Constantly stir over medium-low heat, continue to add broth, half a cup at a time (total of 3 cups). Cook until it has absorbed and becomes creamy. Since it's lacking in the starch department, it does not become as creamy so a splash of cream or milk is helpful.
Saute shrimp with lemon and olive oil.

Add shrimp to risotto(ish).

Is it just me or did the creamy texture of the risotto just beg for a poached egg? No? Just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment