Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hum Bow

Every once in a while, after a long night of cocktails, you need a good dose of grease for breakfast. Until I moved to Seattle, I had no idea Dim Sum existed. Now, on a Saturday morning, I crave the little dishes they bring around on a cart. One of my favorites is steamed hum bow. It has a spongy-bread exterior and is usually filled with sweet, barbecued chicken or pork. I used a recipe from All Recipes.
It starts like a typical bread that has to rise.
Shape dough into a...log, for lack of a better word.
Divide into individual patties. Logs, patties? Sorry, I don't know where my appetizing vocabulary went.
Flatten out the...patties. Add the marinated/cooked pork.
Wrap it up in a nice little package. It's good practice for Christmas.
After successfully wrapping the pork, let it rise again before steaming.
I put mine in a wok with about an inch and a half of simmering water and WALA!
And you don't even have to leave the house.
Did I mention you can also bake it with sugar and egg white brushed over the top?
Yup, you can bake it. This guy ended up being stuffed with cinnamon, sugar and apples.

The end.

3 comments:

  1. Who knew what a little chef you've turned into! Anyway you could airmail the apple ones to me?! Just one more reason why I have to come visit my parents in Seattle more.... Stein can feed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you guys are so sweet. I will be happy to feed you anytime you're here! Grace, gluten free hum bow?

    ReplyDelete