Thursday, August 5, 2010

Avocado and Tomatillo Soup


When the weather is warm the last thing I want to do is turn on the oven, especially in our tiny, cramped kitchen. I don't particularly love cold soups but I do love the ease of taking fresh ingredients and simply blending (or in my case: magic bullet-ing) them. I've found the avocado adds the perfect creamy flavor while the tomatillo lends a sharper, bitter taste.

2 avocados
3/4 C milk (I used skim)
1 garlic clove
1/2 C chicken broth
2 tomatillos
Crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and blend, refrigerate or
warm over stove-or try both! I prefer this one cold.

We had leftover chicken which I shredded on top, but it could be topped with anything: shrimp, tofu, crab! Mmm, crab. I also added a quick cheese quesadilla for dipping...Summer's grilled cheese and tomato soup equivalent.

No comments:

Post a Comment