Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Roasted Beets and Radishes with Goat Cheese

Beets used to be one food I despised when I was younger. I'm not even certain I ever tried one. I think the inky purple residue the pickled variety left behind turned me off.



The turning point is unknown, but now, I adore beets. Now I'm even branching out with different varieties! The orange beets are a little tamer in terms of bite factor. I figured the radishes would provide enough spice. These beets came from the Ballard farmer's market. Every time we go, I wonder why I ever buy produce at the grocery store, especially during the summer. The woman working the veggie stand was super helpful in explaining all the varieties. She also informed us that the leafy green tops of the beets were edible! Am I the only one who didn't know this?

The chard can be cut, washed and sauteed. A little garlic, olive oil and white wine will do wonders. The beets and radishes just need a quick wash and chop. Lay them on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and thyme.

Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. Slice, lay on top of the sauteed chard and sprinkle with goat cheese.

Their season runs from June to October, so go, buy your beets! Added bonus: they keep for 2-4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment